April 18, 2014, 09:04:07 PM
News: THIS SITE HAS MOVED AND IS NOW READ ONLY. GO TO http://bighuskerfan.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wal-Mart has HD-DVD Players for $99.99--other chains match  (Read 2861 times)
matthew_m_g
Champions Club
All Conference

« on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »

If you go to Wal-Mart's website (if you haven't already), they're offering a Toshiba 720p/1080i HD-DVD player for $99.99, and you still fill out the coupon (available online) to get 5 free HD-DVD movies.  

Didn't know if anyone has seen this, but it's an excellent deal.  Great player (upconverts regular DVDs to 720p/1080i as well, plays DVD-R/RWs, has an Ethernet jack so it can get firmware updates, etc.) and a great format too (likely going to win the 'format wars'--first time a superior technology has done so in quite some time...) and a lot of great movies for it, and it's a win/win if you've got a HDTV and you're lookin' for something to play on it (other than 360 games, at any rate.)  Tongue

Supposedly Best Buy, Circuit City, and anyone else selling HD-DVD is also matching Wal-Mart's price on the player.  Between this and the upcoming cheap HD-DVD player they're going to have on the real Black Friday (some cheapo Chinese HD-DVD player that's going to be around the same price point...), folks with HDTV and HD-DVD are going to be winners this holiday season.  Cheesy
Omaha_Phil
Champions Club
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »

I haven't gotten into the HD-DVD players yet, but what are the true HD (1080p) going for?

Obamacare: Signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be over overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country thatís broke.Dr. Bellar
HuskerFan2002
The Skybox
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »

HD-DVD is definitely not winning the war right now. Blu-Ray has a hold of it and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting go of that lead any time soon.
the great cornholio
Big Husker Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »

blu-ray is so much better than hd dvd because it holds 25 gb's of memory per layer while hd dvd holds somewhere in the 14-17 area i cant remember
KCBugeater
The Skybox
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:46 AM »

Sony also won the Betamax vs. VHS war...

"The 1995 Nebraska team was like the unreported 11th plague unleashed by God and UF was Egypt." - from LSU board
matthew_m_g
Champions Club
All Conference

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:46:46 PM »

Quote from: "HuskerFan2002"
HD-DVD is definitely not winning the war right now. Blu-Ray has a hold of it and it doesn't look like it's going to be letting go of that lead any time soon.

Um, that's not true at all.  It's at least 55% HD-DVD to 45% Blu-Ray, and both stand-alone players and media sales have trumped Blu-Ray consistently.  Add to that places like Netflix.com indicating that HD-DVD rentals are consistently renting better than Blu-Ray, and the fact that retailers are starting to drop Blu-Ray from their shelves (K-Mart, Wal-Mart is rumored to make it official in '08 and HD-DVD is going to be in their Black Friday ad, whereas Blu-Ray will be stuck in the corner crying...) and it easily the better of the two formats to hitch a wagon to at this point.

Then again, Blu-Ray is the inferior format this go-around (MPEG-2 Codecs?  Seriously...), so based on format histories in the past (inferior format typically has won), it is rather apt if it were to win.  That, and having your wagon hitched to a Hindenburg of a system (PS3) doesn't help any either.
matthew_m_g
Champions Club
All Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »

Quote from: "the great cornholio"
blu-ray is so much better than hd dvd because it holds 25 gb's of memory per layer while hd dvd holds somewhere in the 14-17 area i cant remember

You're sort of correct...

Blu-Ray does do 20-25GB/Layer, but they're limited to three layers (two for sure, third hasn't been done yet, but they're trying.)

HD-DVD does 18-20GB/Layer, but it can have up to eight layers, and they're using three-layer disks now.  

Add to that the fact that HD-DVD uses MPEG-4 standard Codecs (best codec available for pushing data/sound through, very little lost) compared to MPEG-2 (needs more room for storage, support for sound above 5.1 DTS is shoehorned in), and the memory issue is really more or less a red herring in this debate--both formats have more than enough memory to do the job, and some.  

Mind you, HD-DVD can be expanded more than Blu-Ray for a higher possible overall memory capacity, but again, that's really moot at this point.  Maybe not in 5 years or so, but now it is.
matthew_m_g
Champions Club
All Conference

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:58:33 PM »

Quote from: "Omaha_Phil"
I haven't gotten into the HD-DVD players yet, but what are the true HD (1080p) going for?

Sears will have one on Black Friday for $179 I believe that's 1080p.  It's a Toshiba to boot.  And Wal-Mart will have a different HD-DVD player for Black Friday as a doorbuster at a similar price to the one they sold Friday, but no one knows the specs yet of it.
RED ED
Heisman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »

going going gone

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government....
mrcold
All American

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

Sorry to bring facts into your Playstation hate-fest.  Wink
jd
All American

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:57:22 AM »

Quote from: "mrcold"

Not sure how relevant that article is...it's 2 1/2 years old.  If you want facts, how about the fact that HD-DVD is discontinued by Toshiba.
mrcold
All American

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »

Quote from: "jd"
Quote from: "mrcold"

Not sure how relevant that article is...it's 2 1/2 years old.  If you want facts, how about the fact that HD-DVD is discontinued by Toshiba.

It still disputed his claims of capabilities of both, and as you said, that was as of 2.5 years ago.

I don't think (almost) anyone is disagreeing that HD-DVD is dead, I'm just making fun of the denial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.2.2 © 2008-2009