September 17, 2014, 08:35:35 PM
News: THIS SITE HAS MOVED AND IS NOW READ ONLY. GO TO http://bighuskerfan.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Potential New Coaching Hire Thread  (Read 5961 times)
UNK_LOPERS
Hall of Fame

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »

getting Marshal is a pipe dream.

I would tend to agree.  It would take a ton of money to even peak his interest. 

Criticize me when you reach my level, meanwhile, ADMIRE me!
chrisrd22
Champions Club
Huskerholic

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »

What is a ton of money?  2 Milion a year?   That is 60% of what Bo makes and less than 10% of the Athletic Department  profit...

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. "

Mark Twain
SUHnami
Administrator
Hall of Fame

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:17 PM »

What is a ton of money?  2 Milion a year?   That is 60% of what Bo makes and less than 10% of the Athletic Department  profit...

Unless we get a home run hire or a name coach with proven success, the Men's basketball coach shouldn't get anywhere near BO's salary.  Not that BO has won any championships, but he's come closer than the NU basketball program.

"If I lay somebody out, especially as a receiver, that guy's going to feel terrible if he's a linebacker. He's just going to get up and look and say, “That's a receiver that just knocked me on my ass.”

Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska
chrisrd22
Champions Club
Huskerholic

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »

Unless we get a home run hire or a name coach with proven success, the Men's basketball coach shouldn't get anywhere near BO's salary.  Not that BO has won any championships, but he's come closer than the NU basketball program.

And that is the most dangerous train of thought:  it is the way we have always done it...

Well, the way we have always done has NEVER worked.  Why did we build a new practice facility?  Why build a new arena?  Why join the most prestigious athletic conference?  To be the doormat in what should be a solid revenue producing sport?  If that is the answer then consider me done as a financial donor to NU sports.  The return on investment financially and emotionally is no longer worth the expenditure.

Or...

Go get a proven winner to shake things up, like say a Dave Van Horn type.  How did that work for baseball?  Go after a Jamie Dixon, a Jay Wright, a Tubby Smith, anyone who has proven how to win consistently at the highest conference levels.  Heck even Buzz Peterson would be worth 1.5 million a year.  Give a reason to believe there is a pulse in the AD's office when it comes to basketball.

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. "

Mark Twain
no1huskafan
Heisman

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »

You know Dave Van Horn was at a small school before Nebraska right? Thats the very thing everyone seems to be preaching against. Love it or hate it, we are going to have to gamble again and hope you can't lose the bet this many times in a row.

I'll live forever, or die trying. -- Homer Simpson

DH
Game214
All Conference

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »

My pipe dream...

Steve Wojciechowski

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22725&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152860&Q_SEASON=2011

-DH-
"We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hindparts...and then you will run a mile. PERFECTION. Lets go to work"-Remember the Titans
Shockrfan
Heisman

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »

has he had any HC offers? that record with him as an assistant is unreal.

I <3 Lance

cellophane flowers never happened for me
been sleeping the day off
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny, copy and paste him in
(")_(") your signature to help him gain worl
no1huskafan
Heisman

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »

For years I've been wishing for Wojo. Is he content being an assistant?

I'll live forever, or die trying. -- Homer Simpson

DH
chrisrd22
Champions Club
Huskerholic

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

Coach K's heir apparent

Mark Twain
husker-stv
Global Moderator
Heisman

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

Coach K's heir apparent

Coach K going somwhere anytime soon?  I could see Coach K there for another 10 + years...
SUHnami
Administrator
Hall of Fame

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

And that is the most dangerous train of thought:  it is the way we have always done it...

Well, the way we have always done has NEVER worked.  Why did we build a new practice facility?  Why build a new arena?  Why join the most prestigious athletic conference?  To be the doormat in what should be a solid revenue producing sport?  If that is the answer then consider me done as a financial donor to NU sports.  The return on investment financially and emotionally is no longer worth the expenditure.

Or...

Go get a proven winner to shake things up, like say a Dave Van Horn type.  How did that work for baseball?  Go after a Jamie Dixon, a Jay Wright, a Tubby Smith, anyone who has proven how to win consistently at the highest conference levels.  Heck even Buzz Peterson would be worth 1.5 million a year.  Give a reason to believe there is a pulse in the AD's office when it comes to basketball.

Good luck.  Dave Van Horn wasn't a proven HC at the D1 level.  We lucked out with him.  Name me 1 big name coach that will come to NU and stay for 4-5 years to get the program off the ground?  It's not going to happen.  You get a Tubby Smith, Jamie Dixon, etc, and they have good success here they will leave.  And with our relatively non-existant success in this sport, we probably wouldn't get another coach like that.  I'm not saying I don't want a name coach, just who's going to do it for less than $2 mill a year and stay for any reasonable length of time?  No way TO pays the Mens Bball coach more than $2 million. JMO.

"If I lay somebody out, especially as a receiver, that guy's going to feel terrible if he's a linebacker. He's just going to get up and look and say, “That's a receiver that just knocked me on my ass.”

redfred
All American

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

Good luck.  Dave Van Horn wasn't a proven HC at the D1 level.  We lucked out with him.  Name me 1 big name coach that will come to NU and stay for 4-5 years to get the program off the ground?  It's not going to happen.  You get a Tubby Smith, Jamie Dixon, etc, and they have good success here they will leave.  And with our relatively non-existant success in this sport, we probably wouldn't get another coach like that.  I'm not saying I don't want a name coach, just who's going to do it for less than $2 mill a year and stay for any reasonable length of time?  No way TO pays the Mens Bball coach more than $2 million. JMO.

Mine too. We're going to need a little luck on the next hire too imo. NU football is a destination job. NU basketball is not.....yet. One thing I'm pretty sure of is, if a coach comes in has success, and stays he will be a pedistal not much lower than Bob Devaney's.
Busticket
Global Moderator
Heisman

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

Good luck.  Dave Van Horn wasn't a proven HC at the D1 level.  We lucked out with him.  Name me 1 big name coach that will come to NU and stay for 4-5 years to get the program off the ground?  It's not going to happen.  You get a Tubby Smith, Jamie Dixon, etc, and they have good success here they will leave.  And with our relatively non-existant success in this sport, we probably wouldn't get another coach like that.  I'm not saying I don't want a name coach, just who's going to do it for less than $2 mill a year and stay for any reasonable length of time?  No way TO pays the Mens Bball coach more than $2 million. JMO.

Dave Van Horn won the Southland conference 2 of the 3 years he was there and his squads did a nice job against LSU.  He wasn't a proven BCS caliber coach but he was a very strong D1 mid major coach. 

I imagine our next BB coach will be of similar ilk (i.e. mid major hire).  We won't get Marshall; my have a shot at Groce.  I don't see much beyond those two that excite me.  Maybe Steve Fisher?  He's done a heck of a job at SDSU and has coached Big 10 hoops before.
huskNbones

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »

Coach K's heir apparent

Coach K going somwhere anytime soon?  I could see Coach K there for another 10 + years...

For whatever reason, I see him stepping down sooner than that. Doesn't he have osteoarthritis? That has to take a bit of a toll, especially with the schedule that goes with being a basketball coach. I may be wrong though.

60% serious, 37% sarcastic, 3% insane. Go Big Red!
SUHnami
Administrator
Hall of Fame

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »

Coach K's heir apparent

For whatever reason, I see him stepping down sooner than that. Doesn't he have osteoarthritis? That has to take a bit of a toll, especially with the schedule that goes with being a basketball coach. I may be wrong though.

Yes at some point he will step down, but it probably won't be for at least another 10 years.  Back in what '93 or '94 (whatever year it was) when he was out on medical leave his wife almost left him if he didn't get treated.  That woke him up, but from my understanding he's still just as stubborn as ever and unless he has health issue or his wife threatens to leave him, he'll coach at Duke until he's 6 feet under.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.2.2 © 2008-2009